Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The 10th anniversary of 9/11 is around the corner

How do you teach that to your students? Do you, at all?

I was talking to one of my young friends not to long ago, and somehow the conversation veered to the topic of the 9/11 attacks. A 19-year-old girl, my friend doesn't remember anything about them. And her knowledge of the attacks is very limited, I'm afraid. I suspect many young people are on the same boat.

So how do you begin to incorporate into the classroom what happened on that fateful day? How the country changed afterwards? Or do you leave that to the parents and the History Channel?

My fellow journalists nationwide are asking the same question, and it doesn't seem there's a curriculum anywhere that teachers can avail themselves to. Or directives from districts, state boards of education, etc.

So if you have any ideas, any plans on how to talk about 9/11 to students, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment