Thursday, November 17, 2011

A former local reporter fishes himself out of college debt

Even though I never worked with Nick Rahaim, I always saw a special spark, special talents not all mortals posses. Nick worked at the Californian a while back, when I'd already ran for cover at the Herald. Nick didn't last long, and I assumed it was because he'd found something better, like talented reporters often do. Turns out, his student debts were so high he needed a job as a commercial fisherman to help repay them. His adventures working in Alaska to help with college costs are chronicled in this Salon article. Here's a snippet:

"I racked up huge debt going to a high-priced, second-tier university for my undergraduate education. I thought I’d made the most of my college experience: I spent a semester abroad in Paris and was the editor of the student newspaper my senior year. I earned a double major and a solid GPA. But after I graduated, I found myself broke as hell and living paycheck to paycheck."

There are so many stories out there about how young people are being crushed by debt, how their options have dwindled in this horrible economy -- and some people I know wonder what this Occupy movement is all about.

But for all the stories out there, I have yet to see another as compelling as Nick's -- and maybe that's because I know him personally. He's a talented writer, one who will likely be on the best selling lists.

And finish repaying the $70,000 he still owes.

No comments:

Post a Comment