Thursday, June 9, 2011

A messenger of MPUSD propaganda?

My physical therapist grew up in Pacific Grove, and when I told him this morning I covered the closure of Bay View, he smiled chagrined and said "Another one? There used to be five elementary schools in PG when I grew up. And they were all full."

Now there's only two. And I'm sure the closures of the other three were just as painful as Bay View's.

Monterey Peninsula people who have been unhappy with MPUSD officials and their decision to close Bay View have always suspected their motives, and they continue to do so. They say the numbers don't add up, that the district's own financials disprove their claims. And then they accuse me of not bothering to investigate "the true reasons behind this travesty?" as "YesIndeed01" does in his post to my story in today's paper.

And what are the true reasons? Is anybody profiting? Who exactly? How?

While it's true that the district's decision has been very unpopular, I have yet to see anything illegal. Yes, the closure of Bay View -- along with the increase in salaries to the top administrators -- has caused great political damage. I don't doubt there's people moving to other areas -- or asking for transfers -- so their children can attend other districts (a topic I plan to address in future stories). In my view, though, it still fails to meet the test of malfeasance. I may be naive, but what exactly is there to investigate?

The MPUSD board decided a couple of years ago on the ideal size for their schools. Bay View did not fit within the "ideal size" category. They decided to close it, just as they closed other schools. Just as they closed Monte Vista in years past.

Unpopular, no doubt. Misguided, perhaps. In these times of budget uncertainty, likely a necessary evil. Illegal? Not as far as I can see. Every time somebody has presented me with documents claiming they prove MPUSD's math is fuzzy, I've reviewed them, checked them, and realized they don't disprove MPUSD's logic. Yes, they used bond moneys to retire some debt that was impacting MPUSD's bottom line. Legal. The added wiggle room gave MPUSD moneys for other stuff, including salary increases for administrators. Legal and unpopular, perhaps not the best choice trustees could have made. But what is there to investigate? If somebody out there knows something -- and has the documents to prove it -- can you please illuminate me?

I've been doing tons of stories about MPUSD -- one of the largest school districts in Monterey County -- and will continue to do. Some stories will focus on the cheerful, others on the negative. Not every aspect of the 10,000-plus student district can fit in a slice-of-life story. That doesn't make me a propagandist for MPUSD.

And if "YesIndeed01" has numbers I haven't seen, I'd be glad to take a look at them.

—Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment