Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Of elections and cuts -- budgetary and otherwise

So, I was hoping to write as many board election stories as possible before absentee ballots were mailed. That was last week, so obviously I blew that deadline big time.

Partially it's my fault: I didn't get organized -- and I took two days off. Partially it's the news cycle: I was called to report on this scandal or the other, to chase this TV story or other about certain football player, certain high school principal and coaches.

Partially it's the candidates faults: as if it wasn't difficult enough to cover 13 different races -- yes, that's how many districts are having elections -- try chasing 40 plus candidates. Get their pictures. Get their biographical information. Get them to answer basic questions: why are you running? what's the biggest challenge your district is facing?

It shouldn't be hard, should it? After all, it's free publicity. They have to give the same information to Smart Voter. The Herald strives to fairly cover all candidates, so if everyone sends in their pictures*, their answers, etc., on a timely manner, everyone gets a fair shake, right?

I must be in La La Land. And I've only covered three races so far. Three.

I'm not complaining. I love my job, I love the people I get to meet, and I love being part of the issues being debated in our community.

But herding cats is never fun.

So, if I haven't gotten to your election yet, I'm still working hard at it. Please be patient. In the meantime, if you haven't sent me your information, by all means do! Send me your campaign's website! Answer my simple questions! Help me help you!

And good luck on Nov. 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment