Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mea culpa: an apology to MPUSD trustees

If you were present at the emotional meeting of April 22, in which hundreds of you packed the meeting of the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District Board of Education, you no doubt saw my performance.

I accused the trustees of being unfair, of preventing me from talking to superintendent candidate Alain Guevara and allowing another media to take first and only dibs.

Completely untrue, I later found out. The only reason Mr. Guevara agreed to talk to KSBW is because he promised an interview ahead of time. By the time the board went into close session, and Guevara had a chance to hear what the community had said about his presence in the district, all he wanted to do was leave. Nonetheless, he kept his promise to give an interview, even though he didn't really feel like staying another minute in Monterey. And I don't blame him.

There's a reason why we reporters are not supposed to be taking the microphone during public comments. We have our own forum (with my blog, I probably have a bigger one than most). I should not have allowed my emotions get the best of me, and I'm deeply sorry. I've already apologized twice for my boorish behavior to Tricia, and I'm just hoping she'll eventually smile to me again.

So now for the second round of apologies: Mr. Curt Parker, Mr. Jon Hill, Ms. Diane Creasey, Ms. Debra Gramespacher, Ms. Regena Lauterbach, Dr. Bettye Lusk, Ms. Helen Rucker, I accused you of being unfair, and it turns out, it was I who was being unfair. I truly regret it.

Now, next time you see me approach the microphone, please drag me back to my "desk." Thank you very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment