Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mea Culpa

Breaking news: reporters make mistakes. Ok, I'm sure that didn't surprise anybody. What may surprise some folks is that we feel horrible about them -- I do. But I want to hear about my mistakes, to avoid them next time.

Not too long ago, I identified a college president by the wrong last name. Twice. Horrors.

I don't seem to be on my best game these days. Who knows. Too much pressure to make videos?

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about an MPUSD board meeting where teachers and community members were presenting their requests to the trustees. The district will end this budget year with about $24 million in reserves and Jill Lowe, former MTBA president and teacher extraordinaire wanted to know: "What’s a reasonable ending fund balance? Is 3 million a reasonable reserve? Now I’m looking at $24 million as an ending fund balance. That’s 8 times (as much). It seems exorbitantly high."

I write so many notes I'm getting a serious case of carpal tunnel. So Lowe's quote is there, in my electronic notes -- and I know it's correct because at this Monday's board meeting, she approached me to tell me I misquoted her -- and handed me a piece of paper with the message she delivered that night. To make sure I quoted her accurately.

In my haste to get the story done, not only did I write the meeting took place Monday -- it was actually a Tuesday, Monday was a holiday (thanks, Board President) -- but also I paraphrased Lowe's request incorrectly. And I shortened a long quote by a very passionate, very caring Justine Hochstaedter, making her sound whiny and defeated -- nothing further from the truth.

Yes, we're facing increasing pressures, and deadlines are always deadly. That's not an excuse, it's an explanation. But it shouldn't get in the way of accuracy, so I'll try harder.

And please, continue pointing out my inaccuracies. Hopefully you'll find fewer and fewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment