Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Monterey County schools get grant to visit missions

The California Missions Foundation has presented an $8,046 grant to Monterey County schools for fourth graders to visit the San Antonio and San Juan Bautista missions.

“We are delighted to expand our All Aboard the Bus program from Southern California to Monterey County and are grateful to the Monterey Peninsula Foundation and the Upjohn California Fund for making this possible,” said Dr. Knox Mellon, Executive Director of the California Missions Foundation.

The $8,046 will be distributed among 15 schools in Monterey County. The funds will allow 1,065 students, and more than 60 teachers and chaperones in 38 classrooms to visit the missions this spring.

The “All Aboard the Bus” Program also provided classroom kits of materials (cd resource for teachers, mission collector cards, glossary of mission terms) that will aid teachers in presenting the history of the missions, as well as helping students complete assigned mission projects.

Fifteen elementary schools that serve disadvantaged children in Monterey County applied for the money last fall. The monies will cover 80 percent of the estimated total cost of transportation and admission for students, teachers and chaperones. The schools had to raise the remaining 20 percent of the money through fundraising and other means.

Captain Cooper School: $208
Cesar Chavez Elementary: $1,261
Chualar Union Elementary: $120
El Gabilan Elementary: $776
Highland Elementary: $462
Los Padres Elementary: $660
Marina Vista: $350
Monterey Bay Charter School: $420
Prunedale Elementary: $240
Roosevelt Elementary: $660
San Antonio Union Elementary: $70
San Lucas School: $128
San Vicente School: $1,350
Santa Lucia School: $680
Sherwood Elementary: $7,387

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment