Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Alert students of the world, read this!

A group of alert, adorable fifth graders in Bethesda, Maryland, wrote to The Washington Post’s Dennis Drabelle to set him straight on one of his stories. Drabelle incorrectly wrote the date when the Titanic hit the iceberg, and the diligent students wrote a gigantic letter to set him straight. Read the story here.

It gives me so much hope: that students are reading newspapers (it doesn't say if they read the story on line or in print, but I'm not sure it really matters). That they're paying attention to details and doing their own research. And that they were so kind on their letter, not with name calling or demeaning comments, but just a straight correction.

A big kudos to those fifth graders! Now, I try my best not to make mistakes in the paper, but they do slip. Maybe next time, a fifth grader in Monterey County will catch me ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment