Wednesday, October 3, 2012

of overweight TV anchors, bullies, and the people who influence them

It's National Bullying Prevention month, and I came across an eloquent video that touches on the subject. It's been making the cyberrounds, so you've probably seen it too.

TV anchor Jennifer Livingston  took a moment of her morning show to address an offensive email she received in which she's called fat and a bad example for youth.

To which she responded: "You don't know me. You are not a friend of mine. You are not a part of my family. And you have admitted that you don't watch this show. So you know nothing about me but what you see on the outside. And I am much more than a number on the scale."

I have to admit, I almost cried when I watched this woman standing up not just for herself, but for millions of people who get bullied every day, including children. To me, she's an example of people who want to achieve their dreams. If you want to be a TV anchor, even if you're not meeting society's idea of what's "right" for television, you can still do it. Bravo, Ms. Livingston.

But the most important message I heard from Jennifer was this:

"If you are at home and talking about the fat news lady, guess what? Your children are probably going to go to school and call someone fat."

Yes, bullying could begin at home, so we should be setting the example for our children. Let's not forget that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment