Friday, November 23, 2012

Speaking of "CAVE" people and MPUSD

I knew my story about MPUSD hiring a communications firm would spark reaction. And Monterey resident and mother extraordinaire Joanna Greenshields didn't disappoint.

Here's an email she sent to MPUSD administrators and board members in response to my story:

I hope that these folks from Virginia are fluent in Spanish (CMS- Not that I could tell). 

The largest group of parents in MPUSD are Hispanic and very specific issues have to be addressed by people who are culturally and linguistically capable and sensitive. 

The other issue I see is that MPUSD personnel are some of the biggest naysayers. 
Many staff are unwilling to support district goals and many more won't put their own children in the very schools they teach in. How is that supposed to inspire confidence in the rest of us? 
My own experience with a few members in the top tier administration has been thoroughly entertaining at times! 
I have been lied to, I have been ignored, I have had administrators at board meetings roll their eyes, smirk and make sarcastic comments after I have raised an issue. 
Why would anybody but a bloody idiot get pulled in to that snake pit on a regular basis? 
It is embarrassing to see district staff try to argue a point on behalf of "the party line" when they are ill prepared and uncomfortable, but they have been sent out in to the firing line to sell the latest twaddle to the deaf public anyway. 
This has been my own personal experience and I know many other parents and community members that have experienced exactly the same. 

 I will say that the Board members have never acted inappropriately, nor have they made me feel like a " CAVE " person. Honesty, integrity, and total transparency are an absolute must for this administration. The superintendent sets the tone. Enough said!

Mrs. Greenshields raises an issue here that I've heard from many corners of MPUSD -- not just Monterey. Many don't like the top-down approach to decision making that appears to be the norm in the district. Thus, decisions that are arrived to this way keep building pressure in several corners until they finally bubble up, and explode one way or another.

If nothing else, maybe K-12 Insight will help take the community's pulse and see what kind of decisions would be more palatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment