Monday, December 17, 2012

Can we add anything meaningful to the conversation about Sandy Hook?

A horrific tragedy took place Friday. Twenty innocent children and six of their brave teachers were gunned down. It was our national conversation for the entire weekend.

At newsrooms across the country -- ours at the Monterey Herald is no exception -- we often find ourselves asking, how can we contribute to the conversation -- not just in this event, but any other national tragedy? Do we ask local schools if they're beefing up security? Do we ask if we have enough mental health professionals for our young males? Do we ask parents if they fear for their children's safety? I wonder if any of it makes sense, when trying to figure out something so incongruent.

But here I am, asking our readers: what questions should we ask, at the local level, that would address our concerns about a mass shooting across the country? Or have you heard enough, read enough, from other outlets? Maybe I can curate a page with resources for families, if that's what's needed. Call me, email me, tweet me, light a fire and send smoke signals. I want to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment