Monday, October 28, 2013

More on the MPUSD transcripts

My good friend Scuttlebutt is abuzz about the transcripts issue at MPUSD. Apparently, the story I wrote about the topic last week struck a raw nerve with some folks at the administration. If you didn't have a chance to read it, here it is.

Scuttlebutt tells me some administrators are challenging the accuracy of the story. Some are saying I did not get the story quite right.

Weird. Usually, when my stories are incorrect, my phone's ringing off the hook and my email bulges with demands to set the record straight. Always happy to oblige, by the way.

In case you don't know that about me, I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong -- as painful and embarrassing as that is.

What's also really weird about this, is that Ruben Zepeda himself was reading the story as it was posted in the web late Tuesday, and had a chance to correct some minor errors before they actually were memorialized in the print edition. He correctly pointed it it was 92 students whose records were changed, not the number that originally posted in the web. There was a quote he didn't quite agree with, so I took it down.

Thank you, Dr. Zepeda, for catching those before going to press.

If Dr. Zepeda was able to read the story and point out minor details before it went to press, I'm sure other administrators could have done the exact same thing. So what happened?

So, if anybody has any other quibbles with my story, I'll be happy to listen and run a correction if appropriately. You all know how to reach me.

In the meantime, Scuttlebutt has me on the hunt for more juicy information. Ah, so much to investigate in a 7.5-hour day....

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment