Thursday, May 24, 2012

Career day at Los Padres Elementary in Salinas


I envy our firefighters and policemen with such neat toys to show off during career day.

Hey, I have my iPad. But somehow, I don't think the kindergarteners at Vera Brazil's class of Los Padres Elementary were that impressed.

Along with two dozen other professionals, I ventured into the very challenging territory of an elementary school. Eva Silva and Jose Gil, parents and organizers extraordinaire, invited me to be a presenter during career day. Everyone seems to be going to one these days: California schools chief Tom Torlakson, Latino rockers Ozomatli. Their musicians definitely have better toys.

Although it was very challenging to try to inspire kindergarteners to pursue a career in journalism, I had better luck with the second graders. A couple of them already knew they wanted to be reporters, and wanted to know if it was hard work.

The hardest part, I think, it's to know whether there will be newspapers by the time they grow up. That's why having the iPad was a good prop. Maybe we won't have newspapers then, maybe not even tablet computers, but journalism will remain. And there's always TV and radio, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment