Friday, May 25, 2012

Of Dan Lujan and the dearth of role models for youth

I'm so upset at the Salinas boxing coach I could scream. True, you're innocent until proven guilty, but if there was enough evidence for him to even be arrested on charges of child molestation, it doesn't look good already.

Dan Lujan was arrested Thursday accused of molesting a 14-year-old girl by rubbing topical cream all over her body. Lujan allegedly wanted to have a sexual relationship with her, according to the Salinas police. You can read more about it here and here.

I spent many afternoons with Lujan, and witnessed his dedication to young people in one of the most perilous neighborhoods for young people. His boxing gym in the middle of Closter Park served dozens of young men living on the edge of gang violence. To have him arrested with these charges is truly heartbreaking for me, as I'm sure it will be for many more. That's how many must have felt when Raul Ramirez, former assistant principal at Alisal High, was also arrested on child molestation charges.

Alisal is teeming with teenagers and youth. Role models are not abundant and can't keep up with the need -- the ones who exist are truly remarkable. So when one of these role models falls pray to human foibles, it's devastating.

I hope somebody steps up to keep the boxing club open. I also hope these allegations turn out to be false, but the journalist in me is not very optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment