Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The tea leaves on Hartnell's new president

My trusted friend Scuttlebutt tells me Willard Lewellen, president of West Hills colleges, is more likely to become Hartnell's new president, by a 4-3 vote. Wanting to please ag leaders, who are rooting for Lewallen, two female candidates and two of the males will pick him. The two Latina  females will side with Betty Inclán, president of Berkeley City College. One of the Latino males could break the male pact that's been dominating the meetings and vote with the Latinas.

Ah, the dilemma. To vote with your ethnic group or your gender? That's the million dollar question. 

And before anyone comes screaming at me because the breakdown on votes and how I'm reporting based on ethnicity/gender, etc, I want to reiterate: I'm not creating the news. I'm just reporting on it. There's some very deep divisions at Hartnell, and they won't magically go away just because I chose not to report on them, or because people decide to look the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment