Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Of winning awards and telling sad, emotional stories

So I won a national reporting award this week from the Education Writers Association. I'm deeply honored and touched. The EWA folks are a tough nut to crack -- I've been trying for several years to get their recognition -- so I'm ecstatic about finally have gotten their attention.

And to be in the company of such distinguished colleagues. It sure is special. 

If you want more information about the award, click here

It's a bit ironic that I received an award for the stories I wrote regarding the superintendent search at Monterey Peninsula Unified School District -- specially now, when the district seems closer than ever to finally have found a new top leader. Frankly, it gives me no pleasure to have contributed to such a painful episode in the district. On the other hand, I believe the board is emerging stronger for it -- and that's really a good thing.

That's the nature of our business, I suppose. Or it's the nature of me, to try to look at things from all angles. Yeah, it's like having Picasso living in my head. It's no fun sometimes.

But I sure appreciate the award, and the congratulations I've been getting from colleagues and friend. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment