Tuesday, March 12, 2013

FOIA shaming coming to a school district near you?

I have to admit it, the school districts I cover are generally very good. They provide the information I request on a timely manner, hardly ever even complaining.

Except for one or two. Recently, I was asked to put in an ADVANCED request to see RECENT board agendas and meetings minutes, documents that should be available to the public AT ANY TIME, according to the California Open Records Act.

So when digital editor Lisa Mitchell passed along this new website, http://foiashaming.tumblr.com/, I jumped for joy. Would public shaming of a local school district force them to provide the records they need to provide ANYWAY?

I'm going to have to find out. And you know how much our local schools hate bad publicity ;-)

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment